Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Monday, January 10, 2011

On Moonlight Bay (1951)

On Moonlight Bay is one of Doris Day's biggest hits. It was even popular enough to get a sequel (By The Light Of The Silvery Moon '1953'), which I actually saw before this film. Gordon MacRae & Doris have chemistry...as usual, and the supporting cast is perfect. I enjoyed the sequel, but as with most movies, the original was a little better. Unfortunately I couldn't find many videos that I could embed from this film. So I thought I would do something a little different, and feature covers of the songs from the film or other recordings. I did find a montage of all the musical numbers from the film (ALL SONGS), but embedding was disabled. My favorite number was probably Love Ya by Doris Day & Jack Smith. Tell Me if you like me posting alternative versions of the songs, or clips right from the film. This time I had no choice really, but in the future I could do either.

"The Turkey Trot was a dance made popular in the early 1900s. The Turkey Trot was done to fast ragtime music. It lost favor to the Foxtrot in 1914. The basic step consisted of four hopping steps sideways with the feet well apart, first on one leg, then the other with a characteristic rise on the ball of the foot, followed by a drop upon the heel. The dance was embellished with scissor-like flicks of the feet and fast trotting actions with abrupt stops. Irene and Vernon Castle raised its popularity by dancing the Turkey Trot in the Broadway show The Sunshine Girl. There were news reports of dancers being fined because "their Turkey Trots were interpreted by the courts as disorderly conduct." In another instance, fifteen working girls were fired from their jobs with the Philadelphia song publisher Curtis Publishing when they were caught doing the turkey trot; even though the dancing took place during their lunch break." - YouTube video description

Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag by Lew Dite


Cuddle Up A Little Closer by Andrew Wheaton


Cuddle Up A Little Closer by The Fabulous Heftones


I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles (1919) by Albert Campbell & Irving Gillette

Oh, You Beautiful Doll by Bunk Johnson (1946)

No comments:

Post a Comment