Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Saturday, August 18, 2012

SpinTunes #5 Round 4 Review

Governing Dynamics - Houses
If the message of this song is to stop waiting around for things to happen, and to start making things happen I don’t really like the line “Start building houses”. If I completely missed the point (strong possibility), I suggest less metaphors. ;p If the message is simply to create rather than destroy, I’m not sure I would have chose to focus just on building houses. I like the overall sound, and the pacing of this song. You have a shot, so good luck.

Ross Durand - When The Tide Comes In
Once again you’re in the final round, and once again you’ve got a shot at winning. I like the acoustic guitar work, and the message of the song. At first listen it brought back memories of fighting the tide as a kid building sand castles in Florida. With a few more listens, it reminds me of various other fights you have to go through over & over in life. Good luck.

Edric Haleen - My Friend
The idea is very obvious. I heard a few people bring up bigfoot right after the challenge was posted. The SpinTunes reference got my attention, but since I don’t hear people use the phrase in that way, it felt too out of place. The Ohio line automatically drops you to the bottom of my list. (kidding) It’s not a bad song at all, but it just felt way too predictable, which I know is something you don’t like to be. Good luck.

Mariah Mercedes - Footprints
That bio really helps a lot, and is a great example of why I tell people it can’t hurt to include extra info like that. I totally get the song, but you’ve got some issues with the recording. The audio has to be turned up to understand all the lyrics, but if you turn it up some of the instruments are so loud it’s distracting. With a better mix this could be pretty awesome, as is, I would have to put you as my 4th pick this round. The only part of the song I had any issue with (other than the low audio) was the pauses after each of these lines:

“It was time for a redirection
It was time to take action
Trust me, my friends, you will not be forgotten
I refuse to feel heartbroken”

It just felt strange to have everything stop so often. Maybe that’s just me, but I would have rather had the music continue through them. Good luck.

RC - Orange Beach (Shadow)
I love the music, it’s very relaxing & mellow. After the first listen though, it’s a really sad song. Probably got the biggest emotional response this round. Solid song, and can’t wait to have you back for another SpinTunes.

Dr. Lindyke - Carbon Footprint (Shadow)
Interesting idea, that I don’t think anyone else would have thought of. The chorus failed to be catchy...at all. That’s really the biggest issue I have with the song. Holds my interests up to that point, then makes me want to skip to the next verse.

JoAnn Abbott - The Mermaid's Waltz (Shadow)
Doing a song inspired by “The Little Mermaid” is kinda risky. I mean there are so many great songs in that cartoon already, that it’s going to be hard not to think about better songs that have already been written. If you don’t think of the cartoon, then you don’t have enough backstory to hold someone’s interest. (imo) So yeah, this is a tough road to take. It’s an ok song, that is inspired by something that makes me think of great songs with more fitting vocals.

Gray Havens - Onward To The West (Shadow)
First off, your voices sound great together. Unfortunately, this isn’t my type of song. It’s slow as heck, and even though you’ll get a lot of phrase from others...it’s just not up my alley. This type of song just makes me sleepy. Love you both, and look forward to having you both back in a future contest. That is...if Brian isn’t too scared to take on his own kin. ;p

JoAnn Abbott - First On My List (Shadow)
Well, you can’t say I didn’t warn you. You will not be allowed to compete or shadow in SpinTunes 6. Not just because of this song, but because of all the whining, poor sportsmanship & flat out lies that have been spread on multiple social networks...even after the warning.

After I made the decision to ban you from the next contest, I blocked you from all social networks, and I don’t wish to hear from you again until after SpinTunes 6. At that time, if you can convince me that you’ve grown up, you’ll be allowed back in. If anything happens after that, there will be no more chances.

I did get your apology e-mail, and I don’t know if it was heartfelt or not. Too me, it’s too little too late anyways. I won’t go into detail about that since it’s not something that was made public. It came after your warning, after various other jabs, after I blocked you, and after I decided to ban you for at least 1 contest.

I guess I should review this...but I don't feel like it.

Boffo Yux Dudes featuring Osmium - Wash Away (Shadow)
I think this is the first song I’ve heard that didn’t directly mention footprints in the sand. I enjoyed the lyrics, except for the last verse. It just didn’t seem to fit with the rest of the song. The vocal performance seemed a bit bored, and needed a bit more energy. Solid shadow, but better luck with the record in SpinTunes 6.

Boffo Yux Dudes featuring Denise Hudson & Mick Bordet - Sand In My Toes (Shadow)

There will be 5 judges who are not participating in the contest & who will not shadow rounds until the contest is over.

I think Mick found a loop hole. He didn’t shadow, he just contributed to a shadow. In the future that might be addressed, but lets get on with the review.

There was music, but it was like music that’s played at the theater before the previews even start. Like the stuff they play while they have “Did You Know” facts & trivia questions on the screen. It was more of a spoken word performance than a song, and unfortunately I didn’t laugh when I was supposed to.

Boffo Yux Dudes - Footprints (Shadow)
I think this is the best idea you had for a shadow. Very funny, and I think it could be even better if you weren’t spread so thin trying to do multiple songs. Smooth out a few lines that feel a bit clunky, and this is a winner. Well done.

Boffo Yux Dudes featuring Dr. Lindyke - Foot In The Sand (Shadow)
You forgot to post lyrics, and to stay consistent with my past reviews...no lyrics...no reviews. ;p

4 comments:

  1. The Mermaids Waltz was written based on the classic Hans Christian Anderson story, which is where Disney loosely drew the basis of their film. I assumed most people would have understood that to be the case, since the story is generally well known, not just the Disney version.
    I have posted the apology in the Spintunes Annex; if you want me to remove it from there as I did all other references to the contest & my reactions to it on FB I will do so. I honestly did not know if you wanted me to post it in public or not, since you didn't like my other public posts about my feelings.
    Had you decided to ban me when you posted "Poking"? From what you say here, it seems like that was the case, and so anything I tried to do to fix things was wasted I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to ban you AFTER the poking the bear post. That was a warning you clearly ignored, so I decided I was done dealing with you for awhile. I don't care if you remove the things you posted, that's up to you.

      Didn't know about the Hans Christian Anderson story, but I think most young adults would think of the cartoon. Maybe I'm wrong though.

      Delete
    2. Actually, Spin, the first thing I think of with the Mermaid's Waltz is the story; that may be because Hans Christian Anderson is one of my favorite authors. I give JoAnn props for sticking with the original storyline instead of the bowdlerized Disney version.

      Delete
    3. I don't consider you a young adult. ;p

      Delete