Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Sunday, April 18, 2010

NEGATIVE REINFORCEMENT:

An Unfair and One-Sided Review
by Sammy Kablam

Fight: Double Life/Half Life

Here we go again! This is the first time I've reviewed a prompt with options, so this should be interesting. I'll reserve my opinion on multi-prompt options, because it doesn't really matter, and none of you care, anyway. So, let's skip the useless bantor and get down to business! (I will say, though: if nobody wrote a song about Batman, I'm gonna be pissed.)

The Weakest Suit

I can't really see any way around it, pal: you need a vocalist, and you need a writing partner. Your music is fine this time around, but your lyrics are cheesier than curdled milk. And your singing... Just...get a vocalist.

ptp

I fail to grasp what, in this story, is really suggestive of a "double life" outside of the use of the word. From what I could hear, it just sounds like some guy is chasing a thief across the world. Being a criminal doesn't immediately define you as having a double life -- then again, maybe I just missed the real allusions to the concept. As for music, it doesn't really grab my attention, and the solo bits almost sound like you don't know what you're doing; like you either don't know how to write an effective solo, or you just didn't have one planned and tried to freestyle on the spot. Either way, again, not very effective.

yelyah

Number one, your lyrical rhythm is still bad enough to make me cringe. And once again, you sound more like a flute than a person. Your music isn't bad, but your vocals are really blurry, and it kills the whole thing.

Berkeley Social Scene

This is not a bad song, and I don't want to convey the idea that it is. All I'm going to say is this: I felt like it should have been more powerful. The lyrics are fine, and as good as the music is, it doesn't feel as strong as I think it could. For a song about liberation from daily drudgery and the desire to shine as your inner self, the music doesn't feel quite as epic as I'd like. BUT...it's still very good, and that's really just a nitpick more than "do it right".

Jan Krueger

This is kind of grating. It's musically redundant and whiney. It's not fun at all, and even if you were trying for a "serious" tone, you have to make it something that's interesting, not repelling. It's not a bad production; it's a decent production of a bad song.

Torrentz

If this was just a little bit dumber, it'd be funny. Unfortunately, it hovers in that realm of stupidity where it's not dumb enough to be intentionally comical, and not good enough to be intentionally listenable.

Nobody, et al

This was pretty damn good. Keep it up!

Steve Durand

So far, the most fun in this Fight. The showtune/big band/circus sound is brilliant, and the lyrics are very smart. Well played, sir.

A Far Off Land featuring Wise

I don't like this "style". That's not to say the song is bad; rather, I'm not the guy to judge. This is the kind of thing that makes me change the radio station because it's dull and tries too hard to be cool. And that's not really my bag.

Rycehat

Aside from some of the timing of the lyrics, this isn't really bad at all. It actually nailed (one of) the prompt(s) right on the head, and also managed to be entertaining in the process, ranking it among the more impressive entries.

Dan The Man Band

Well, it certainly qualifies as "metal", to my understanding. Ironically, the most unmetal thing about it is that I can hear the vast of the lyrics. The only caveat is that I don't see what it has to do with either of the prompt options. Your song appears to be about tempo, and that's not really the topic. Either of them.

Stu Jordan

...Moving doesn't qualify as a double life. Props on the Huxtables name drop, though.

Jeff Robertson And The Neo-Candylanders

I'm really having to focus to make your lyrics. BUT, I can say your melody is catchy and your music is upbeat enough to keep my listening. It may be a tad repetative, but "Louie, Louie" is about fifty times more repetative and unintelligible, but also holds that weird catchiness to it. I'd suggest toying with the vocals to help them through a little better, but like I said, it's catchy as is.

Jonathan Mann

This is probably the most I've understood any of your songs, because there seems to be a story in it. That's not to say I comPLETEly understand, but I think I get the general idea. But, again, I don't fully see how this song fits in with either prompt. That could, of course, just be because it's a Jonathan Mann song that I don't really get, but other than not seeing how it meets the challenge, it's a pretty decent tune.

Kuwait Sheet Set

Bored, bored, bored. It's slow, bland, and the chrous is incredibly similar sounding to the verses. I don't see a whole lot of replay action going on here.

Ephh Wi-Yi

Topically, this is the most rule-bendingly creative thing so far. And that's admirable. The weirdness of the music is successful in that it's bizarrely constructed, without being inane and flat stupid. I'm not going to say it's "the best", but it's up there, without a doubt. Creativity like this is blatantly lacking in Song Fight, and this pointed that out and did something about it. Kudos.

Stucco Lobster Breadbox

You are not They Might Be Giants.

Well, that's that for this oddly dualistic prompt. Hopefully next week, while easing the storms, we also manage to step up the game. Oh, and remember: the propmts are there for a reason. ;)

Until next time,
S. Kablam

(1 review was removed by Spin)

No comments:

Post a Comment