Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Monday, May 16, 2011

Song Fight Review: Who Said I'm Dead

SpinTunes #3 will be starting in June when Nur Ein ends. I recently posted the rules for the contest, and more updates will be coming this week. (draft of schedule & sign ups) If you compete in Song Fight, or are a musician who just follows this blog...check it out.

The last challenge over at Song Fight was titled "If I Had One", and my favorite entry was from bgm. It was close, but Jonathan Mann ended up with the victory taking 1st place over bgm by 1 point. A new batch of songs can be found over at Song Fight, so I suggest you go pick your favorite songs for the current round. My picks are listed below:

Voted For:
(Right Click "Save As" on the artist's name for a MP3 of their entry.)

Longfellow Street - The attitude in the vocals...teach this to your fellow competitors... Loved everything about this, please enter more often.

The Panna Cotta Army - I paused this after 5 seconds just to say I'm already diggin' the cheery music. Ok...back to the song. And....done. Ok, you didn't blow it. Lyrics were alright, and I smiled throughout while bouncin' in my chair. I don't know if I liked how you repeated/layered certain lines like "ready to stop", "cemetery plot", etc... It's a very minor complaint, but just not sure I like that.

James Owens - This made me laugh. Topical & funny Johnny Cash.

Berkeley Social Scene - My favorite recent entry from you. The bridge was a bit long, and normally I'd knock a song that goes over a minute without lyrics, but the music was hot so it gets a pass.

Daring Front - Really liked this. The music didn't seem hard enough considering the lyrics...if that makes since.

Others:
(Head over to Song Fight to listen to these songs.)

Tibor - I didn't care for the lyrics, but they were better than your last effort. The music was GREAT. Really relaxing, and even the vocals were alright despite the accent. Just loved the way it came together. If the lyrics were more up my alley, I would have voted for this. Very good entry though.

DJ Ranger Den - Your voice sounds great in this (even better than usual). I know your kinda our piano girl, but use that guitar more. Lyrics keep you from getting a vote. (shocking)

Community Payback - If I ever lose my hearing, I would get a little joy outta knowing I would never have to listen to your crap again. Honestly...I'd love to know the percentage of people who actually got to the lyrics before hitting stop.

Dirge - Are you afraid of someone hearing your vocals? You sound like it. The guitar at the end is the only thing that didn't make me sleepy.

EggNogAdam - Meant to be funny...wasn't. First line kinda sucked.

Hey it's Romer - Uninspired, and the flow was weak.

Integration Test - You never really hit that last note...no point in holding onto it. Overall it wasn't bad, but not really for me.

Jelizaboaz - If you want people to believe you can be the life of the party you need to sing like it. Your performance doesn't convince me that YOU believe that.

King Arthur - It's odd for me to say this about one of your entries, but nothing stood out for me. Your vocal performance was the best thing about it for me, and everything else just seemed bland.

Lake City - Music was dull. I think you can sing, but this song does show much of it.

Nurvuss - Music was...annoying. Performance seemed awkward.

Sanity - Repeating the title over & over shouldn't be 50% of your lyrics.

Secret Submarine - Dug the music & performance, but I didn't get the lyrics at all.

That Guy - Hated the vocals. They either bored me or had me laughing. Really, this just did nothing for me.

TOSHIRO - No! *smacks with a rolled up newspaper*

Side Note:
There's a lyric forum...for people to post their lyrics...feel free to use it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment