Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Nur Ein 6: Round 5 Review

If you want to download any of the songs I'm reviewing in this post, there's a link to the Nur Ein site in my sidebar. Check it out for free music. In this round the title was "Heart Shaker", and the artists also had to display a creative use of a flatline tone.

WreckdoM - I thought the vocals were too low in the mix, and I didn't really care for the lyrics anyways. I thought the performance was fine, just up the volume a bit. The music was ok, but in a tough round...I don't know if you're going to make it to the next round.

Ross Durand - Honestly on the first listen I wasn't a fan of this until the big reveal. The performance & music was great, but I was thinking to myself "This story is just all over the place." Then at the end I was like "OOOOOOHHHH", and all was good. :p

Manhattan Glutton - I liked this after the first listen, but thought a few lines sucked. Then I read your analysis after the lyrics & listened again. Maybe I shouldn't let the analysis affect my rankings, but it did clear the issues up I had with a couple lines. You jumped a couple spots just because you posted that. I encourage people to post song bios & analysis in SpinTunes for just this reason. Don't know how that's looked at in Nur Ein? Song certainly felt like it was driving the listener on, and I honestly didn't feel I had a choice but to go on this journey.

Frankie Big Face - Has shitloads of clipping on the vocals. :p Honestly I would really love this with new vocals. Get someone who can sing this & it would be about perfect. I never noticed a dial tone is the same as a flat line tone? If they are, nice work. If there's a slight difference that the other judges decide to jump on...I reserve the right to conform to the opinions of the mass. :p

The Worldly Self Assurance - Was really into this, and thought your use of the flat line tone was the best of the bunch. Least favorite part was:

"I played out my heart
My heart on my sleeve
I've just been restarted
And soon I must leave you my dear"
The lyrics are fine...but I didn't care for the performance, and I didn't need to hear it 3 times. It was the only thing I didn't like about the entry though...so good job.

Paco del Stinko - I'm really not sure what I think about this. The story is just a little to creepy for some of the music. The music isn't bad, it's just the overall effect is...odd. So how do I rank this? *picks up a dart* This is where you landed.

DJ Ranger Den - The music has a creepy feel to it, and sounds kinda like something on a horror soundtrack. The vocals didn't really seem to fit the music. Maybe they were just too loud in the mix? Lyrics...same thoughts as most rounds.

Merisan - Sometimes I know I'm going to rank a song highly just by how much I tap my foot & chair dance while listening. This was one of those songs. The lyrics aren't that deep, but they're fun, and flow nicely. I enjoyed the music & the performance...well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment