Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Nur Ein 6: Round 2 Review

If you want to download any of the songs I'm reviewing in this post, there's a link to the Nur Ein site in my sidebar. Check it out for free music. In this round the title was "Blame It On Ginger", and the song had to be autobiographical.

Luke Henley - Couldn't blame you if you hated me up to this point. I've been Mr. Negative toward you in round 0 & 1. BUT GOOD NEWS! I liked this. Sure the recording sucks, but it's good enough to get across what could be there. I enjoyed the lyrics, I thought it was by FAR your best performance, and I congratulate you on a job well done. Ok...one negative. That 18 second guitar solo sucked. Maybe it was the recording...but either way it's a small complaint considering the improvement I think you've made.

Manhattan Glutton - This is one of my favorite songs of the contest so far. It's catchy, it's rockin', and it sounds very familiar...but I can't place what it's reminding me of. I was going to mention something about my dislike of the title use, but then I read this:

"Title... well, I do have a good reason for saying ginger, but it's not something I want to share."
That's good enough for me. There's really no way to fact check with a lot of the challenges Nur Ein, SpinTunes & other contests. Sometimes you just have to trust the competitors, and I've got no reason to distrust anyone in the contest yet.

WreckdoM - Tell the little green men flying around your studio that it's a no fly zone while your recording. Seriously that noise bugged the hell out of me. If everything else about this song was flawless...that noise still would have put you in risk of elimination in my opinion. And the rest of the song wasn't flawless.

Boffo Yux Dudes - I know you had a last minute computer crash that pretty much shafted you this round. This last minute meta song might be good enough to save you, but if it does it'll be by the skin of your teeth. Better luck next round...assuming you get the chance.

Paco del Stinko - I liked the angle you took with the story, but the lyrics didn't flow as much as stumbled at times. The performance & music were fine, and the song was catchy. Just think the lyrics could use a little more TLC.

Glen Raphael - Lyrics sucks. Catchy funk. The vocal performance was alright, but when performing crap you can't mask the smell.

Merisan - 3 rounds are behind you now, and I still don't think you've taken a wrong step. It's catchy, fun lyrics, and the vocal performance is top notch. I really want to say something bad about you...just because you're making this contest look easy.

Billy's Little Trip - So far you haven't blow me away with anything in this contest, but you're consistently submitting quality work. I liked this song, but felt the chorus lyrics were weak. You're easily safe this week.

Bram Tant - This is back to back rounds I really like the guitar. The lyrics & performance didn't sell me. I'm not a huge fan of lyrics that are spoken in the song. With most songs it just takes me out of the moment.

The Worldly Self Assurance - It seems like I complain about your vocals not being up front enough a lot. This time I think they were perfect. The song is very sweet, and for the most part I like the lyrics. The whole idea of someone falling in love because of the age old Mary Ann or Ginger question isn't very believable to me...but you did about as well as I could have expected anyone to do taking this route. Mad props for submitting while having immunity.

Abbott And Hines - Props for Caleb getting something in at the last second despite the problem you guys had. Something is better than nothing, because there's always a chance someone else missed the boat completely. Doesn't look like you'll be getting lucky this round, but nice try.

Ross Durand - Loved the first verse. The rest of the song was fine, but for some reason it just didn't pull me in. I really don't know why this didn't grab me, because I can't find specific negatives.

Frankie Big Face - Slow paced songs don't usually do well with me. The lyrics & the pace made this feel even longer than it was. It's just not my type of song. Not saying it's bad, but it's not for me.

Jon Eric - I've been listening to Song Fight for a couple years now...and even went back & listened to years from before I found the site. So why didn't I know you submitted as Hunky? You rap better than I would have guessed, and I actually liked the rapping better than the chorus. Overall this was great, but the repetition within the chorus kinda bugs me. Great story telling.

John Kloberdanz - I'd like to hear a better recording of this. Maybe bring up the vocals a bit, and just overall it sounds muffled.

DJ Ranger Den - Piano & strings sounded great. Your vocal performance was great, and your lyrics were not for me. On a personal note, I want to hear you let loose with your vocals. Your style doesn't always take advantage of the voice you got. Belt something out like that loud mouth we both know from Michigan. (kidding Edric)

No comments:

Post a Comment