Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Song Fu 6...Let The Battle Begin

Sorry I'm a little late with this, but I had other blogs planned, and yesterday I didn't have time to sit down & do this. Anyways, I figured I'd give my thoughts on Masters Of Song Fu #6, before it even starts. First off, I have to say that if Ken doesn't produce a Master this time, he should drop the "Masters of" from the title of the tournament & stamp FAIL onto his forehead. Now...moving on.

The challenger list was actually limited to 20 this time. I'm a little shocked that Ken actually followed through with the set limit this time. I'm even more disappointed since there's a few people I know who wanted in, but didn't get in. I know some people have complained about the number of people being allowed in is getting to be too much, so I can't really blame Ken for trying to limit it this time to see how things go. But I know a lot of talent was left out of the tournament, so I'm not real happy with the current system. Personally I would allow as many people to enter as wanted in for the first round, then limit the 2nd round to the top 20 vote getters. Adding an "entry" round to Song Fu sounds more fair to me, and he wouldn't have to bother with the band profiles until the top 20 has been decided. The first round could be basically ran like Song Fight runs every round.

Now for the people who did get in. I think the lineup is fairly strong, but could be better. Some of my favorites from the past couple Fu's are back like Edric Haleen, Godz Poodlz & "Buckethat" Bobby Matheson. I'm extremely happy to see the return of my favorite challenger Jeff MacDougall. Mike Lombardo is also back in action, and I don't think I've heard a bad song from him in Song Fu so that's great.

I'm very interested to see what a couple new comers will bring to the tournament. Dave Leigh/William Hoover, Inverse T. Clown & Glen Raphael all have my attention to start off with, but we'll have to wait and see if they can hold onto it. I recently got Glen to sign up to TMA, but haven't heard a peep from him on the site. Next thing I know the Song Fu list is up, and he's on it. I liked the stuff on his YouTube channel, so hopefully he works well under pressure.

The biggest disappointments of the list is the fact that Jason Morris & Joe "Covenant" Lamb aren't included. Of course I don't really know what Joe's role would be in Song Fu now. I mean he's a Master now, so having him compete with the challengers doesn't seem right. So unless he's the final Master at the end, what would he do besides shadow? If Ken went back to the old system of having the Masters battle it would be better, but that's unrealistic probably. I was also disappointed not to see Chas Lilly & Josh Holober-Ward on the list. They were very impressive as noobs in Song Fu #5. I know Chas didn't hear about the sign ups until the list was already up, but I don't know about Josh. It's also a shame that there's no Hank Green, Molly Lewis or someone else with a BIG YouTube fan base to draw attention to the tournament. Mike has gained a decent following on YouTube since his last appearance in Song Fu, so that might bring some new viewers. There are others I would have liked to see in Song Fu like Lex Vader & Steve Chatterton, but the previous mentions were my biggest disappointments.

Well that sums up my thoughts on Song Fu 6 so far. Now bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment