Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

SpinTunes Rule Changes

Compared to the first contest, SpinTunes 2 was smooth sailing. It was A LOT easier, and I was happy with how things went. So making changes for SpinTunes 3 is not something I thought I would be doing...at least nothing big. We do have a large minority in our little group that want the popular vote to play a larger role in the outcome of things. I'm not really a fan of the popular vote, but I decided to attempt a compromise.

Here's what I posted last night at the U-Stream show:

" Popular vote will be done via a poll (probably run by Jules again if she's willing).
- The top 3 vote getters will get bonus points.
- 1st place is 3 points, 2nd place is 2 points & 3rd place is 1."

SpinTunes 3 is still a good ways off (late June), and I posted this early so I could get feedback. Tom Giarrosso stuck around after the show & made a good argument for increasing the value of the bonus points. He, and others feel it should count as much as 1 judge does. I don't think I'm willing to go that far...yet, but increasing the total is something I will consider. I want them to be considered BONUS points. Not everyone will get points via popular vote, only say the top 3, 5 or 10. Increasing the number of people who get bonus points each round is something else I was told to consider.

So, think about it, and post your thoughts in the comments. If it goes well...I could consider expanding it's role more. If it goes badly...I could of course nix it completely.

There was one other announcement made last night, but it seemed to go over well enough. In the next contest there could be as many as 4 guest judges each round. I can't promise I'll get 4 each round, and I may not get 4 in any of the rounds. I will try to provide multiple guest judges each round though. Which means more feedback from people you know listened to all the songs.

I'm hoping that these changes will drive more people to the site & of course to your songs.

PS: If you're just now hearing about these changes...get your ass in the Spintown U-Stream show next month. :p I'm going to try doing them once a month, usually on the last Monday of the month. I play stuff I find & enjoy online during the past 30 days. Stuff from YouTube, Song Fight, Nur Ein, blogs, viral videos, etc, etc...

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I get to be the first commenter.

    OK, I've floated this before, and as I think it's still a good idea, I'll do it again.

    A good compromise, given the way SpinTunes voting works, is to make the popular vote equal to one judge. The ranking would reflect the number of votes received, and ties could be decided by submission order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always had an issue that the popular vote really didn't have much of an effect. What's the point in asking people to vote if their vote only is a 'tie breaker'. Seemed like a let down.

    So I would suggest that however the math works, the total of the popular vote is equal to one of the judges. In that way, it's still only 1/5 or 1/6 of the total points for that round, but still would have an effect.

    If you make it a set smaller number - 3 or 5 points to the highest vote winner - the change would be too small, if each judge could have 20 points for their top pick in the early rounds...

    Just a thought. It's not going to be a deal breaker, but it will keep those who have some fans in the running a little longer until the later rounds.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete