Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Song Fight Review: Hello My Old Heart

The last challenge over at Song Fight was titled "Peace Is Rest", and my favorite entry was from Just In Case. Well I was wrong, and DUNCE got the win. There's a whole new batch of songs over at Song Fight, so I suggest you go pick your favorite songs for the current fight.

The current fight over at Song Fight had an extra twist. They had a 10 year anniversary get together recently, and at that get together they had a Live Fight. The title was "Hello My Old Heart" just as it's posted on the website. Jonathan Mann won the Live Fight, but now those live songs are also being judged with entries from other people across the interwebs. There are videos of each performance from the Live Fight, and you can find links to each video in THIS thread. My favorite songs from the fight are below.

Voted For:
(Right Click "Save As" on the artist's name for a MP3 of their entry.)

King Arthur - I had my 10 year reunion not that long ago, and I think this song really captures the feeling of those moments. Best song of the fight.

Steve Durand - Cute...sweet...simple...enjoyable. I don't know why so many people hate ukes? When used right, they're great.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'N Stuff - I didn't really dig the live performance, but I really enjoyed listening to this version.

The Seamus Collective - This is another song I didn't really dig at the Live Fight, but found myself really into listening to this recording. I'm not really big on live music period, so that has a lot to do with me having issues with some of the songs at the Live Fight.

Not Bad:
(Head over to Song Fight to listen to these songs.)

McCalum - Lyrically I think you stumble around a lot, especially at the start. But the song picks up, and is pretty enjoyable. I liked the idea behind the song.

Abjure! - You had me with the line, "She'd dislocate her jaw at will". Funny shit.

Jonathan Mann - I was in the chat room cheering for you during the Live Fight, and you were extremely close to getting my vote in this fight as well. Phones really need to come with a breathalyzer to prevent drunk dialing.

Tailirine Irene - Music was interesting. The singing didn't really sit well with me, but the rapping wasn't bad....even though I couldn't pick up everything. USE THE LYRICS FORUM!

Videos:
Andrew Reist uploaded this video for his song.


This is a video of Jonathan Mann performing during the Live Fight.

JB performing during the Live Fight.

Frankie Big Face performing during the Live Fight.

Sock Puppet performing during the Live Fight.

Side Notes:
- I don't really enjoy live music much, so that took away some of the enjoyment of the songs played at the Live Fight. Listening to the recordings sent in of those same songs I was a lot more impressed than previously...with some.

- A Far Off Land featuring Field Of Bronze: I was somewhat into the song for the first 3 minutes...then whatever interest I had was kicked right out the door & wasn't allowed back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment