Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Song Fight Review: Has Been For Years

The last fight I reviewed over at Song Fight was titled "Out Of A Hat", and my favorite entry was from Billy & The Psychotics who finished in a tie for 3rd. Merijamby took the win, and was also who I had ranked 2nd. So overall, I was pretty close this time.

A new batch of songs can be found over at Song Fight, so I suggest you go pick your favorite songs for the current round.

My favorites from the fight Has Been For Years are posted below.

Would Have Voted For:
(Right Click "Save As" on the artist's name for a MP3 of their entry.)

The HATE Noise featuring Mean Gene Goatee - For fucks sake...I don't want to do this...but I have to say something nice about The HATE Noise. The track got me bobbing my head instead of covering my ears for once. The rapping had flow, and most of the lyrics were ok. My ONLY problem with the track is the hook is too repetitive. How many times do you need to repeat "Sharks and Mean Gene's been here for years"...you're a rapper...you did fine with the rest of the lyrics...be a little more creative & less repetitive there. *grits teeth* Nice work.

Tye Lemery - Cut the acoustic opening. You mumble a bit too much for me to pick up lyrics at times. One reason you should use the lyric forum. The music (after the opening) wasn't bad though, and the chorus was fine. I could seriously like this if you fixed those 2 things. Not bad at all.

Others:
(Head over to Song Fight to listen to these songs.)

Paco del Stinko - I enjoyed the hook again (2 weeks in a row I think), but I felt the vocals in the verses wavered too much at times. Music rocked throughout.

Shambles Square feat. MC Heapey - The music didn't do anything for me. The lyrics were pretty creative, but it's hard to listen to a British Mr. Peabody delivery for that long without something to mix it up a little.

Berkeley Social Scene - Enjoyed the lyrics & message for the most part. The music just felt a bit flat to me. In other words I would have liked some that would have made me get up off the couch & put the remote down.

The Sportswriters - Daguerreotype? *grabs dictionary* Ooooh...ok...continue. I think the vocals are too up front. What Star Wars film is "And the earth I become" a quote from?

Billy & The Psychotics - Music was rockin' but it sounded familiar. Listened to a few old CD's looking for what it reminded me of but didn't figure it out. Didn't really care for a number of lines in the song. For instance: "but you wonder if you should walk this time away". Nobody talks like that, so it throws the listener. Not really sure if I dug the vocal performance either.

Dejected Motives - I have to strain to hear the vocals & it's 9 fucking minutes long. Oops never mind...there's 4 minutes of dead air at the end. But still...even when I cranked the volume up it was hard to hear.

Dirge & Sara - My biggest problem with this one is the guitar. Just didn't like the sound at all & it felt like it was competing for attention almost.

Faight From Fire - The vocals in this were bad throughout. Really though, I think you came to the right place. The production here was just messy overall & you can probably get useful tips from SOME of the people in Song Fight.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Not bad, but the lyrics just felt...like I've heard them before...1,000 other times in 100 other songs.

Klownhole - You sounded like my stoned grandpa trying to tell a story over the music blaring from my annoying neighbors house.

Monkey Touchers - You're now the NEW Hate Noise.

Pigfarmer Jr - So he stole the kid? That caught me off guard...kinda funny. But up until the twist the story is bland as hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment