Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Song Fight Review: The Last Afternoon Of A Woman He Only Thought He Knew

The last fight I reviewed over at Song Fight was titled "Occupy My Heart", and my favorite entry was from Jon Eric who finished in 8th. I had The Pannacotta Army ranked 3rd in my review & they ended up taking the win.

A new batch of songs can be found over at Song Fight, so I suggest you go pick your favorite songs for the current round.

My favorites from the fight The Last Afternoon Of A Woman He Only Thought He Knew are posted below.

Voted For:
(Right Click "Save As" on the artist's name for a MP3 of their entry.)

Future Boy - I was enjoying the sound & lyrics (if not the performance) then WHAM you change things up pretty abruptly. Great story telling & way to use the title when so many others wussed out.

Hip Hop Anonymous - Creepy Michael Myers inspired music? I likes. Used the title. I likes. Clear story with mostly clever lyrics. I likes. Nice flow.

bgm - The music was good, but left me feeling like something was missing. I thought it was building to something (other than the disco flare) that never came. Lyrically I loved it aside from the fact the title wasn't used.

Sportswriters - "That winter was colder far than any that I remember" REALLY?! The very first line is a Yoda line? Change that stupid line cause otherwise this is a lovely song. Well done...even though...again...the title wasn't used.

Others:
(Head over to Song Fight to listen to these songs.)

Berkeley Social Scene - I know in Song Fight you don't have to use the title in the song, but as I've said in the past I like it when people do. You kinda cheated to do that, and even still it sounded awkward. The song aside from that part sounded fine. Nice work. I can't blame you too much for not finding a way to work the really crappy title into the song.

Billy & The Psychotics - Not enough of a story for me & the chorus sounded too messy for my liking. No title in the song.

DJ Ranger Den - No title in the song. I got the big picture, but the journey to it wasn't to my liking. Nice to hear your guitar again.

c.layne - Vocally it was a nice performance. Musically it was interesting, but a few sounds just annoyed me. For instance the very first sound in the track. Then whatever came in with about 1:50 left in the track. And 50 seconds later makes me think about when I put a bad CD in my CD player. Lyrically it wasn't my cup of tea. Didn't hear the title.

Dejected Motives - 15 seconds in & I'm guessing this is going to be tough to listen to. Music starts off bad, can't hardly make out the vocals, and I see you decided to waste 7 whole minutes of my time. Lets see if I have to edit this review after listening to the other 6 minutes & 45 seconds... ...Nope...I was right on the money. It is possible you used the entire title...as I said it was hard to make out the vocals.

Dirge - Starts off with a lack of flow. Seriously it sounds like a little kid trying to be careful to say everything correctly as he's reading in front of the class. It gets better as it goes, but never really grabs me, even when you totally change it up at the end.

Emperor Gum - Graham...over a minute to get to the lyrics? Musically I didn't care for it at all, which makes it worse that it took so long for vocals. Your recording of vocals has improved a lot over the past year or so, and there's some emotion in them which is often lacking in your past offerings. Still needs work though.

Wicked Cripple feat. dont reply - Bring up the vocals. You used the title...YAY. That's as positive as I can possibly get with this.

Klownhole - Sloppy.

Life In Decibels - The last 70 seconds were the best part, other than the use of the title.

Mom&Data - Lyrically it starts off like it might be interesting, but never really goes anywhere. I stopped caring halfway through.

Paco del Stinko - What is that blaring noise? It's more obnoxious than Sammy Kablam. Lyrically I liked it...but that sound was enough for me not to hit play again.

Pigfarmer Jr - Flow...get some. The hook...terrible. Music...dull & repetitive.

Ripping Hammer - What few vocals there were I had trouble picking up. Just...start over...completely.

sonofsupercar - Lyric archive...use it. Couldn't understand parts of it. Has an old feel to it. Not for me, but better than most this fight.

T.C. Elliott - If a certain afternoon is so important that it's being longed for in the chorus maybe we should know a little about it? Didn't care for the singing & the whole song never really goes anywhere. No title again.

The Last Afternoon Of A Woman He Only Thought He Knew by DJ Ranger Den


Side Notes:
- Stupid ass title for a fight.
- I know I didn't mention every song that didn't use the title, but that's only because I got tired of mentioning it. It annoys me each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment