Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967)

I could have posted a Song Fight review for the new fight that just started yesterday...I could have posted that response to Joe "Covenant" Lamb that I said I would do...but once again I'm phoning in lazy. I had this already made up for such a time. It's just some quick thoughts on a movie I recently watched. You can actually watch this entire movie on YouTube at the moment.

"Thoroughly Modern Millie" (1967) is a wonderfully light & fun musical comedy, that involves some farily dark subject matter. (kidnapping & selling women as sex slaves) To me it felt like the movie could have ended on the building ledge after Millie comes to her senses about who she should marry. But the dark sub plot isn't resolved yet, and the movie basically feels like it has 2 endings. If you would like to watch the movie trailer click HERE. The first video is the opening number performed by Julie Andrews.


Stumbling
If you're only familiar with Mary Tyler Moore because of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", then you probably didn't know she could sing & dance. If you're like me, and have every episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" on DVD, this comes as no shock. In this clip she dances with Julie Andrews to get the elevator to work.

The Tapioca
This song was sung by James Fox (dubbed by Jimmy Bryant) and danced by him, Julie Andrews, Mary Tyler Moore & a cast of other dancers. Unfortunately this is only half the routine, to watch the second half click HERE.

Jazz Baby
I'm a big Carol Channing fan. Most people thought she was strange & funny...and she was. But I thought the voice was sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment