Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Monday, July 5, 2010

Song Fight Review: Hard Landing

The last challenge over at Song Fight was titled "Dirt Nap", and Ross Durand had my favorite entry. The voters disagreed though, and Balance Lost got the victory by 2 votes. I didn't really care for their entry, but congrats to the winner. There's a whole new batch of songs over at Song Fight, so I suggest you go pick your favorite songs for the current fight. My picks are listed below:

Voted For:
(Right Click "Save As" on the artist's name for a MP3 of their entry.)

Lucky Spoon - The first few seconds had me worried. I thought someone had the volume set WAY too low when they recorded, and I even started to jack up the volume. But then I heard the scratches, and sat back to listen a little relieved. Then I got worried all over again when I realized it was going to be a song about Song Fight. I'm so tired of songs about songs & about song contests. Fortunately I didn't just skip to the next track because I was pleasantly surprised with this track. It has a fun beat, humor, used the title well, had some trash talk, and it actually sounded like something from the late 80's or early 90's. The chorus sounded very familiar, but I couldn't place it. This will get countless plays on my MP3 player.

Manhattan Glutton - I don't think I can think of anything bad to say here. Just a great song. Something I'd love to use in one of my "Pain For Laughs" videos actually. Well done.

Panna Cotta Army - Dat's purdy. This sounds like something that would play on a television show or movie during a montage. This is just really tight.

Steve Durand - Not bad, I dig the piano man. I kept changing my mind on whether or not to vote for this. I finally did cast a vote your way, but it was close. If another fight you probably would have got it easy.

Not Too Bad:
(To download these songs head over to Song Fight)

Pigfarmer Jr - I like the story, and I think everyone knows someone like that. I started to get a little bored toward the end, but I overall I liked it. In another fight this could have got a vote, but this one was just to tough.

MC Sharks In The Swimming Pool - If I was a fat woman I'd hate you...but since I'm not...I laughed my ass off. Not sure it'll have a lot of replay value (if any), a few of the lines were a little random. But it was definitely fun to listen to the first time.

Chekhov's Raygun - Music is weak, but the rhymes were interesting... I think this is 2 fights in a row where you haven't really impressed me, but again you've got my attention. Hope to hear more from you...again.

Side Notes:
- I really enjoyed this fight overall. There's definitely a few tracks that'll be getting played on my MP3 player a lot.

- The Dinnertime Boys...if I had just beat "Stake Or Die" on the NES, and this music started to play while the credits were rolling I'd be very pleased. But I'm never fond of instrumentals in song writing competitions. I'm even less fond of 8-bit sounding tracks that have the words "Hard Landing" randomly thrown in once just so people know it was wrote for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment