Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Friday, July 2, 2010

Classic Movie Moments

Ok, I've watched a few movies that inspired me to share some more of my favorite moments. First on the list is "The Great Race" (1965) staring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis & Natalie Wood. Honestly I watched this movie for 2 reasons: 1. Jack Lemmon is always funny in a comedy. (and he was in this) 2. Natalie Wood is one of the hottest females to ever walk this planet.

Overall I didn't enjoy the movie much. Jack has his moments, and it's a beautiful movie. The production is top notch, it's just to silly for me to watch it for 2 1/2 hours. A younger Peter Faulk plays a major role in this film, and you'll see Arthur O'Connel & Vivian Vance (from "I Love Lucy") as well. BTW...I know I normally only talk about musicals here, and this is NOT a musical. There was one musical number that was just amazing though. It features Dorothy Provine performing music by Johnny Mercer & Henry Mancini.

He Shouldn't-a, Hadn't-a, Oughtn't-a Swang On Me!
I've been singing this a lot lately...half of Middletown probably thinks I'm gay as I drive by.


I also watched the movie "Four Jacks And A Jill" (1942) recently. It's another not so great movie, but it does have a great dance routine featuring Ray Bolger. When Ray Bolger dances it's the most controled 'out of control' you will ever see. He looks as if he'll fall on his face at any moment; but he bounces, slides & taps his way flawlessly through any performance. The only other thing I can think to say about this movie (cause it sucks) is that you get to see a very young Desi Arnaz (another "I Love Lucy" connection), and Jack Carr has an uncredited appearance. Unfortunately I couldn't find a video of the routine I wanted to share. But I decided to share another Ray Bolger moment from a different film.

Who?
"Look For The Silver Lining" (1949) is a film I've never seen, but would if I had the opportunity.


She's A Follies Girl
I might have shared this clip before, it's from the film "The Great Ziegfeld" (1936). It's definately worth your time, and this is a classic Ray Bolger moment. PS: I assume people know, but Ray Bolger is the Scarecrow....in a little film called "The Wizard Of OZ".

No comments:

Post a Comment