Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Song Fight Review: The Rumor Lives Strong

The last challenge over at Song Fight was titled "When Did You Know", and I predicted that Jon Eric & Friends would win. I was wrong, but the only other person I voted for was Ross Durand, and he tied with PiGPEN to share the victory. There's a whole new batch of songs over at Song Fight, so I suggest you go pick your favorite songs for the current round. My picks are listed below:

Voted For:
(Right Click "Save As" on the artist's name for a MP3 of their entry.)

Berkeley Social Scene - The music felt precarious, dangerous, insecure.... All good things since that's the way you feel when you're performing a balancing act trying to keep a lie or rumor going. Well done.

Steve Durand - Great music, fun song & I enjoyed the ending. I wish I could be constructive & not just give you a well done...but...well done.

King Arthur - Loved most of the lyrics...aside from the last rhyme with 'strong'. King Kong felt phoned in. The story telling was great, and you once again contributed one of my favorite entries.

Rik Gerblick - Most people wrote from the POV of someone being talked about or having heard rumors about a significant other. Enjoyed the fact you decided to write from the POV of the person who accidentally started a rumor. I'm guessing you recorded this with the volume low or something? I had to jack mine up just to heard it. New recording would be cool.

Josh Millard - Was thrilled about the vocals...but the music was alright. Could have done without the short instrumental toward the end. Really dug the lyrics though.

I misread the title as "The Rumor Is Strong" - Josh Millard
I know it's not required that you use the title of the fight in the song (although I generally knock people who don't). I'll be nice this time since you had a misunderstanding of sorts...

Others:
(Head over to Song Fight to listen to these songs.)

Bad Boys At Bat Mitzvahs - Maybe it could use a little bit of an intro? Enjoyed the song, but the story feels a bit rushed. I looked up the a bit of the history this song references and there's plenty of material to add a little to the story:
"On the morning of April 7, 1869, a fire spread at the 800 foot level in the Yellow Jacket Mine. Firefighters entered the mine but the smoke and flames pushed them back. As the fire burned, wood timbers collapsed and poisonous air expanded into the adjacent Kentucky and Crown Point mines. The fires persisted and mine sections were sealed off and remained hot for several years. At least thirty five miners died, and some bodies were never retrieved. The Yellow Jacket Mine fire was the worst mining accident in Nevada history up to that time." - Wikipedia
Neat idea using the Virginia City gold rush & the Yellow Jacket Mine fire.

The Chthriplings - Was starting to dig the song, and just when it starts picking up....it ends???? Go back & finish it.

Bob Lazo - I liked this entry, but the recording seems a bit muffled? I wanted the vocals to pop more, because unless you really focus you don't pick up on most of them. I know NOTHING about recording or mixing, so I don't know what to tell you other than that.

Feat - I felt like I should have been in some dark smokey coffee house listening to unwashed longhaired nut jobs reading poetry. Well done, not really my try of music, but it was entertaining the first time around.

Hoglen And Wages - Enjoyed the music.
"I'm also interested to hear views of the lyrics. Who knows what it is about? At what point did you know?" - Wages
I have I feeling I'm in the vast minority...but I didn't know. I know it's about the Beatles...but I don't know much about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment