Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Nur Ein 14 Round 3 Reviews

Abominominous
With your previous songs I struggled to follow the story because of the lyrics.  This time I couldn’t understand 90% of your lyrics without reading along on the Song Fight website.  The vocals are totally lost in this mix.  I enjoyed this more just reading without the MP3.  I actually think the topic is clever, and even though some of the lines just seem out of place to me, I was able to follow the story.  As someone with multiple tats, I’d warn you to hold off on that impulse buy.

Berkeley Social Scene
Man this is going to be a tough one for me.  The music & vocals are by far the best you’ve done this Nur Ein (imo).  I enjoyed every minute of the sound.  What has me in a pickle is the lyrics.  I get that it’s about a couple people that see the world differently, and who just click right away.  But as someone who doesn’t like much ambiguity in lyrics, there are times when a line is just a little too weird for me or that I just don’t get at all.  And I get that it’s probably intentional to highlight how differently they see the world, but to me personally, it’s just annoying.

Faster Jackalope
“I’m nearly killed, but most alive”? Nobody talks like that… Another interesting idea for a song, and at times pretty well done.  Along with lines that need reworked, you give us some really great ones like in your chorus.  I like how you used your first 2 samples, but I don’t know who Miss Anne Thrope is or get the reference, so that part was lost on me.  I enjoyed the overall sound of the song.

Frankie Big Face
Gotta say, my biggest issue is your sample annoys me.  It’s just kinda abrupt, and I grow tired of the repeating.  Slower songs generally don’t do it for me, and since the one place your song picks up is when the sample comes in...well it’s just unfortunate.

Grumpy Mike
Little slow for my liking, but I can’t really say I disliked anything else.  Vocal performance, music, lyrics…  I’ll have to see how much I enjoy this after repeated listens, but for now I can’t see you ranking very low.  Probably the best use of the title this round.

Max Bombast
I’m going to be honest here...you’ve established yourself as a personal favorite mine (judges, teachers, parents...they all have favorites kiddos).  I also love Amazing Grace, so I was excited for this song.  Unfortunately that didn’t last long after I hit play.  That sample not only hurt my hears, but it may have damaged my soul a bit.  The rest of the song was actually about what I’d expect from you.  Quality work that I enjoyed, but that sample makes this song something I never plan to listen to again.

Merisan
Everything about this sounds wonderful.  It’s a bit repetitive at times, and I wish I knew what was going on in the story, but it sounded great.  Your use of the sample seemed to fit in really well, and it almost felt like it was something done FOR your song.

Nick Soma
I should have popped a Prozac before listening to this song.  You set a mood, and that mood was depressed.  It’s actually well done though.  The lyrics weren’t bad, and I really enjoyed the music.  If I was going to cut my wrists to something THIS IS IT!  I really liked your use of the sample as well, I thought it was perfect, and I wasn’t really expecting someone to make that choice.  What I thought the song lacked, and needed, was a win.  You bring the listener down, down, down, and it really needed a build & pick me up at some point.  I guess where he’s saying goodbye & basically saying he’s done with this could be that...but it needed more HOPE in the music & vocals to leave me feeling somewhat satisfied.  Not really something I’d want to listen to again because it’s not my type of music, but I was impressed with it at times.

Rachael Layne
The music sets a creepy mood, and you bring attitude & personality to the performance.  Overall though, this doesn’t work for me at all.  There’s no hook to grab the listener nor is it fun to sing at all.  The sample works, but it’s not the greatest use this round, and it really don’t ADD much to this.  Honestly would have thought there would have been a lot more you could have used sample wise WITH this topic & style.  So I was left a little disappointed there.  Just my opinion, but this was the weakest round of the contest for you.

Rain Watt
This is heart wrenching.  Your lyrics, the story, and  your performance...I didn’t think you could top your last song, but you did.  The music was good enough, but the thing that drives this song is your performance.  Putting out music this honest can’t be easy, but I’m glad you’re doing it.  Some people, and I’m including myself in this, might be uncomfortable at first when they hear a more baritone voice refer to themselves a female.  But often it’s because this stuff isn’t talked about & there is little experience with the topic.  What better way to make someone think than having them listen to this moving piece of art.

The Sunday Colors
I enjoyed your story this time around, and of course your guitar work was very solid. You made me laugh with the message to Lionel above your lyrics, but it wasn’t that bad.  I mean it did feel a little out of place, but not much.  “Color me Sunday” wasn’t my favorite use of the title.  It’s fine, you used it prominently in your song, but it’s just a weird phrase.  Overall...good job.

Third Cat
What the fuck?  Digging out an eye & frying it up in butter?  Not sure why that's there, but other than that, I didn't hate this song.  The chorus actually kinda stuck in my head, and I liked the instrumental section at the end.  Lyrically it wasn't all that creative or was just really strange.  Look at your rhymes: Down/Clown, be/see, blue/to/you, real/feel...  None of them bad in an of themselves, but there wasn't anything creative about any of them throughout.  I think this could be a keeper if you spent a little more time reworking your lyrics.

Ujn Hunter + Friends
Enjoyed the vocals.  The first sample you used was kinda lame.  This needs a hook.  Despite me liking your lyrics (the music wasn’t bad either), this doesn’t leave a lasting impression or make me want to sing along.

Vowl Sounds
The story is fine, but I did get disinterested after awhile.  So I looked at the time & it was like 3 ½ minutes in.  I’d suggest cutting this down & start wrapping it up after the first time you use,”Color me anything that brings your far-off gaze to fall back on me”.  This song is like that 1 friend everyone has, that you really like, but he never knows when it’s time to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment