Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Nur Ein 14 Round 2 Reviews

Before I get to the individual reviews I just want to say that the talent level in this contest is amazing.  So it pains me that so many of you either didn’t like the challenge or didn’t have the balls to really embrace it.  I normally focus on the lyrics & this was a lyrical challenge.  You can make the argument that most of these were diss tracks, but most diss tracks I’ve listened to actually name a target or at least don’t leave you wondering who the target was.  If you left me wondering, went after a group, or idea...you fell in the rankings.  A diss not directed at someone specific doesn’t really diss anyone. (imo at least)

Abominominous
Started off with a chill “Why can’t we be friends” vibe.  I actually liked your first couple lines as well.  I thought it was the good jumping off point for a diss track even if the song didn’t set the mood I was expecting.  However I wasn’t able to pick out who your target was, and it didn’t take long before (again) I just couldn’t follow anything.  Aside from that, there were places where the song slows down or gets distorted & feels out of place.  The first example that bothered me was, “we built this city on exploitation”.  And I don’t know if anyone told you, but your song ended around the 3:30 mark.  It’s always awkward when the musician is last to know...

Agony Sauce
This is the exact thing I was hoping for.  Pick your targets & rip away.  I didn’t care for the fact that you included yourself in this though.  I'm pretty sure everyone is mature enough to know that it’s a joke & part of the challenge.  So that felt weak.  Most of the insults are clever as fuck, and you’ve got some solid flow.  There was never a time when I was bored listening to this.  Still with the multiple challenges? *tips cap*

Berkeley Social Scene
At first I thought you were going to target James Charles since he’s an internet star who was trending the past few days.  But you never named a target, and it clearly wasn’t him.  If you had a target in mind I didn’t figure it out, so I assume it was meant to be generic.  The lyrics were solid with a few memorable lines, and the music was good enough.  Overall it just felt like a weak “diss” track.  But I’ve thought the same thing from everyone who didn’t name a specific target.

Boffo Yux Dudes
I like the idea of making a your mama diss track, and it seems right up BYD’s alley.  The tone of the music doesn’t really feel like a diss track, but I think it works.  My biggest complaint here would be that the jokes are stale.  If you want to do a your mama diss track that’s great, but don’t just Google very common old jokes.

Faster Jackalope
Like a lot of people this round, the music doesn’t really set the mood for a diss track.  I mean there’s a glockenspiel in this for crying out loud. ;p  I actually really enjoy the concept, the music, the lyrics & the vocals.  Yet together this just doesn’t seem to work for me.  The mood is wrong, and the vocals (despite being good) don’t sound like Popeye or Brutus.  I am so conflicted with this...I like so much about it...but it’s like peanut butter & pizza together.

Frankie Big Face
You paint a very clear picture here, and I really enjoyed it.  The music was driving & appropriate for the story.  Because this wasn’t your typical “diss” track I was worried at first when you didn’t really name a target, but your storytelling gives you a great mental image of your nameless target.  Something that others this round didn’t do as well.  To me at least, this is a huge turn around for you in this contest.

Grumpy Mike
You really set the mood & you picked a tough target.  Props for both.  Lyrically I thought you did a fine job, and liked that you were letting your presence be known as much as you were dissing someone.  Vocals a little out of your range at times, but it’s not too distracting.  You get bonus points for the “I’m Not Impressed” reference.  #Impressed

Lucky Spoon
The anti diss track? I can maybe see how this technically meets the challenge, but you’re stretching it a little too much for my liking.  Just based off the music, lyrics and performance I’d have to rank this pretty high.  But I’m also factoring in the challenge, and you’re getting dinged hard for that.  Just know that I enjoyed the song, despite where it is in my rankings.  Sometimes it’s worth walking right up to that line & maybe going over...sometimes it’s not.  Good luck with the other judges.

Mandibles
No lyrics posted.

Max Bombast
Man this was short, but you got immunity, so I get why.  I’ll keep my review just as short.  Challenge...meh.  Song...ok.

Merisan
Sounds nice.  Not much of a “diss” track though.

Nick Soma
I think we should have asked people to name the target of these diss tracks.  Like a number of others this round the lack of context I’m given takes away from the enjoyment.  The mood you set isn’t what I’d expect from a diss track, but I think you make it work.  The ending sounds too muffled & gets hard to make out the lyrics.  I mean I was reading along so I didn’t have an issue, but I imagine I would have without the lyrics.

Rachael Layne
I think it’s pretty clear how he got there, but I can’t help but agree with the rest. You come nonstop with the disses which is great.  The part where you repeat “You’re a buffoon” actually seemed out of place.  No major complaints with this song, but going political is always a bit of a risk.  Fingers crossed there aren’t Trump fans on the panel.

Rain Watt
I grew up in a religious right wing family & community so I can clearly picture the people you’re targeting here.  This is not a topic or POV I can claim to understand at all, but the performance & lyrics in this song are extremely powerful.  It’s not your typical diss track, this is more wishing for understanding & revenge than straight up disses.  I think this song is great, and might end up being the best of Nur Ein 14 in terms of evoking raw emotion.  When I take into account the challenge & the music (which is a little to muddy for my liking) it will fall in this rounds ranking a bit.  Great work though.

The Sunday Colors
Your actual recording has improved each round. Guitar playing is great, and the vocals are clear as a bell.  As a diss track I felt this missed the mark, and I didn’t really connect with the story.  I did like the twist at the end, but I fear you’ll rank low.  My favorite lines were,

“I watched you drooling in your hospital gown
And I thought all you’ll ever be is all you are now”.

Give me more of that in a diss track.

Third Cat
Glad you named a target, cause for most of the song I was thinking, “Why should I care about this random Billy guy?”  I didn’t know if he was a fictional character just for this song (and he still might be), or if it was a real person.  This song lacks a hook...or at least a catchy one.  I was never really ready to start singing along to this.  I’m not sure this will hold much interest for anyone other than the 2 people it was meant for.  But I always say write songs for yourself first, so if this song did something for you great.  Not sure it’ll do much for you in the contest though.

Ujn Hunter + Friends
The singing & the music was pretty good. Didn’t really like the hook though, just wasn’t catchy or creative.  Lyrically it’s fine aside from the fact you don’t really target anyone specific.  That’s kinda my issue with a lot of the songs this round.  You’ll probably do better than most since at least yours sounded good.

Vowl Sounds
Dissing your ex’s next?  If even there’s nothing to it, people would read a lot into that.  I liked the reference to your first song.  I also like the “Charlie Brown adult or pissed-off Sim” line.  Your voice is almost too sweet to be dissing people.  That actually did feel a little out of place.  But overall nice work.  Picked a target, and went after her...or him.  Guess it depends on if I’m reading too much into it. ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment