Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Nur Ein 14 Round 0 Reviews

For those who don’t know me, I used to run SpinTunes.  I’m not a musician, I’ve only written lyrics for a few songs/parodies/jingles, and I have no real background that qualifies me as an expert of any kind.  This won’t stop me from judging you & possibly talking out of my ass from time to time.


How I Judge:
When it comes to the technical stuff, I’m pretty useless.  So expect me to focus a lot on the lyrics & just tell you what I thought sounded cool.  Because I do focus a lot on the lyrics a lot I may or may not hold it against you if you don’t post your lyrics in Ye Olde Lyric Archive. (I totally will hold it against you, so post that shit.)  Judging isn’t as hard as writing the songs, but it’s still time consuming, and having the lyrics available is a huge help to speeding up the process.  So if you don’t post lyrics, I’m likely not going to review you until you do.  I’m a big fan of clear stories that aren’t left for the listener to “figure out” their own meaning.  You don’t have to use the title of the challenge in your song, but I do enjoy that…

-----------------------------------------------------

Vowl Sounds
This was the last song I listened to, and I’m glad you ended things on a positive note.  The idea was a natural, and honestly I was getting tired of some of the same old same old takes on this title.  The story was entertaining, cute, and everything was pretty well executed.  You win this round for me.  This was kinda like a walk off home run in extra innings...

Max Bombast
Cut that start down about 10-15 seconds.  There wasn’t much there when it came to the music, but I didn’t get bored because everything else was pretty solid.  The vocals were really good, the story was entertaining, the lyrics flowed well, and honestly I had a blast singing along with this one.

Faster Jackalope
Music is relaxing & pretty, and the vocals match in tune perfectly.  The first verse has some Yoda like moments in it.  I mean nobody speaks like that, and it just throws me off as a listener when I get lines like the first 4.  I l-o-v-E the chorus, but you get an F in spelling.  Other than that I thought the chorus was wonderful.  I had to look up what “cloying” is...so I learned something because of this song.  Not sure the average joe would know what that means (the 2 people I asked online didn’t), so careful with your word selection.  This song seems like it’s aiming for a broader audience, and things like that might limit the appeal.

Agony Sauce
I didn’t see your lyrics posted.

Mandibles
Do people refer to Rhodesia as “dry Rhodesia” on the regular?  Because if not that just sounds off, and it’s the start of your song, so you really want to get that first line right.  Also, “night-ly” was kinda lame.  Overall though, I enjoyed the story with the twist ending.  The vocals & music were solid...I guess my complaints are minor considering I liked the song.  They just set a bad tone since those things were right at the start.

Frankie Big Face
Tranquil as fuck.  You set a mood, maintained it throughout, and I didn’t get bored.  Well done.  The chorus was probably my least favorite part of the song, it just didn’t really hook me, and felt like a throwaway almost.

Grumpy Mike
The vocals are too low in the mix for me, especially at the start.  It annoys me more when I hear that you can actually sing.  I thought it was an interesting choice to write this in the form of a letter, and even though I don’t know what it’s all about, I think it works well.  Oh, and the ending was great.

Boffo Yux Dudes
This is a very BYD idea, and one of their better ideas.  A fight song for the zamboni driver is funny, but a fight song also fits the challenge perfectly.  My only real complaint is that the vocals during the verses don’t seem all that excited & the music also seems a bit uninspired.  I mean drink a Red Bull or something prior to recording, cause Mr. Zamboni is going to think your heart really isn’t in this song.

Merisan
I mean the story is lacking, but the music & vocals were really tight.  I would like to hear the vocals a little hotter in places.  They get a little lost at times, and that voice doesn’t deserve to be lost...ever.  It’s a very solid entry. Not an entry I’ll remember in the long run, because of the lack of an interesting story, but for right now I hear it’s merits.

Rachael Layne
No lyrics posted.

Inflatable Vegetables
I liked that the story was very clear from start to end, and the lyrics flowed well...mostly.  I say mostly because after “Can’t make her stay” in the chorus the pause before “LA’s calling” feels uncomfortably long.  The music wasn’t really inspired, but it got the job done, and I could say the same for the vocals.  Just good enough not to complain about or compliment you on.

Abominominous
At first listen I enjoyed the sound you created, and the vocal flow?  Is that a thing?  I’m making it a thing if it’s not.  However I had no idea what the fuck the song was about.  So I listened again while reading along with the lyrics.  That didn’t help, I’m still confused as fuck as to what it’s about.  I did like that you used spelling in the song without really screwing up the flow & forcing it in there.  The story needs to be a little more clear for my liking, at points it was like random words thrown together...but with style!

Ujn Hunter + Friends
This is hard for me cause I don’t get it.  I like the energy, I the sound...but yeah...this will end up near the bottom of my list cause I simply don’t get it.

- Another judge gave me some insight into your song.  I still like the sound, but the lack of an interesting story limits how much I can enjoy this.  Props for doing Song Fight & Nur Ein both though.

Rain Watt
No lyrics posted.

The Sunday Colors
No lyrics posted.

Third Cat
You sound bored with your vocals.  Overall the story about a crazy guy who I’m assuming is also on drugs (because if this isn’t a song to trip to nothing is), is interesting enough.  Unfortunately nothing about this song screams “I’m in this round to win it.”  Because I feel you can probably improve on everything here if you wanted to.

Mousehole
Nothing really grabbed my attention with this song, but my biggest complaint is the use of spelling.  Sure you spelled a lot, but I glazed over before you made it through the chorus once.

Nick Soma
I love your take on the challenge, and I wish more people would have thought outside the box a little.  However, I don’t think it was executed all that well.  You songs flow is that of an old man with a kidney stone problem. Those letters seem so forced, and I know it’s not easy to make that work & be smooth, but still...  Overall the music just wasn’t for me, not exactly helpful feedback I guess, but I just didn’t like the sound.

Paco del Stinko
The story was pretty bland.  The thing I’ll probably remember most is the “I G-O-T-I-T got it” line.  That was kinda catchy, but the rest of the song was very forgettable to me.

Berkeley Social Scene
Vocals seem a little sloppy & the the way you used spelling the first 2 times sounds like an autistic kid in a spelling bee.  I kinda liked the instrumental that starts around 1:35, but overall this one wasn’t for me.

Lucky Spoon
You can sing, and I at first I was interested in the lyrics.  But then I get a bit lost, and I’m wondering who James is...and the rap starts.  After getting a little context from the lyrics page I had to laugh.  I don’t think I’d seek this out to listen to again, but I think you did what you set out to do, and it’s gets you in round 1.  So nice work?

Lichen Throat
For the first 18 seconds you had me interested.  I thought the sound was interesting enough, but then the vocals came in & I thought you got Ben Stein as a guest vocalist.  Also, that sound I thought might be interesting wasn’t after more than 2 minutes.  The song just came at you nonstop like a horny turtle attracted to a stone.  Steady...slow...misguided...but motivated.  When things did change up briefly it reminded me of a Sci Fi flick where someone was traveling through time & they hear voices speeding up & slowing down oddly.  Lyrically you told a pretty clear story, and it’s poetic at times.  But as is, you didn’t package & present it as a song I’d want to listen to again.

Fisher and Diaz
No lyrics posted.

Mike Lamb
No lyrics posted.

Pigfarmer Jr.
I listened to the entire thing, and I think you know me well enough to know that I wasn’t happy about it.  My intro pretty much tells you why if not.

No comments:

Post a Comment