Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Song Fight Review: Under Over

The last challenge over at Song Fight was titled "Isle Dauphine", and my favorite entry was from Thanks for the frisbee. They managed to take 2nd place, and Manhattan Glutton got the win. I was pretty close to being right, cause I had Manhattan Glutton ranked 2nd. A new batch of songs can be found over at Song Fight, so I suggest you go pick your favorite songs for the current round. My picks are listed below:

Voted For:
(Right Click "Save As" on the artist's name for a MP3 of their entry.)

Ross Durand - I don't think you worked the title into the song enough. :p Honestly loved the word play & the harmonica was perfect. Wait...that line sounded familiar...

BLT feat. Paco and DJ Ranger Den - This is a partnership I could get behind from the sound of it. Enjoyed the music, as usual with Billy. Enjoyed the singing, as usual with Denise. It was fun to hear Denise sing to this style of music, and I could get used to it, cause it was awesome. My suggestion would be to put Paco in charge of the lyrics though. I was able to follow along better than usual to Denise's writing, but some parts lines left me scratching my head still. BTW, nice work with the lead guitar Paco.

Paco del Stinko - I enjoyed the story a lot, and have known a few friends like that. Felt that the chorus was the weakest part of the song, but overall one of my favorites of the fight.

Tindersoot - Why did I have to play the sleepy song last? (doing these on lack of sleep) Sounded purdy, and I liked the vocals. Lyrically I was in & out...but I think mostly from just being tired. Saving this song, and will listen again on the weekend. So my review is basically..."I'll listen again later." Yeah...lame...but I've always said my reviews suck, even when I do have sleep. I'll vote for you, but only because it saved Mr. Sandman a stop by my place. ZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz

Steve Durand - Even though I enjoyed the lyrics, I was about to tune out of the song. It took about a minute for the horns to come in, and they pretty much saved this. The music wasn't bad, it was just putting me to sleep at the start. Don't know if it was the music or that I listened while already being very tired...or both.

Others:
(Head over to Song Fight to listen to these songs.)

EggNogAdam - The solo guitar at the end bored the heck out of me...not a strong finish. Overall, I liked it a lot for a demo. Needs fleshed out more musically, but the story (though depressing) was ok. The vocal performance was the highlight for me.

Billy's Generic Trip - Music was fun, but the verses were so repetitive that the song felt like it was made up of 4 different choruses. Took many hooks, not enough pirates.

noah mclaughlin - I have a hard time making out all the lyrics, but even the lyrics forum doesn't help me 'get' this song. Music was clean & held my interest.

Flvxxvm Florvm - Enjoyed the lyrics, but the chorus sounded more like a blunt object than a hook. Instead of pulling me in, it pushed me away. The vocals, while not great, were ok. In the chorus they get a bit lost in the mix. The solo at the end wasn't bad, but it felt tacked on...not like it needed to be there.

Hey it's Romer - Couldn't understand most of the lyrics...and in rap (or anything else really)...that's not good.

lalabrookie - I thought the song was about 1 thing most of the way through, only to find out it was something different at the end. Wasn't a fun little twist for me, just odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment