Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Nur Ein XII Round 0 Reviews

A lot of you know how I judge because I've reviewed here in the past & of course I've judged SpinTunes a lot. For those new to my reviews I'll tell you a little about how I do things.

I'm not a musician of any kind. So when it comes to technical stuff I'm pretty useless. I can just tell you what I like & what I don't. Often can't tell you why as skillfully as other judges. So you'll notice I focus on lyrics a lot. My final rankings are just how much I enjoyed a song. No fancy system that factors in performance, music, lyrics, production, etc...etc...just how much I'd want to hear your song again. Pretty simple. The type of music I tend to like is upbeat, tells a CLEAR story, fun to sing, and I do like a little humor in my music. If I can't decide between 2 songs, I will often look at how creatively you met the challenge. Not that anyone here would or should write to please any 1 judge, but I hope this helps people understand where I'm coming from when you read my reviews.

Anyways, overall...it was a fun round to listen to. I wasn't amazed with how most of the backwards lyrics were used. Too often felt tacked on, but a lot of talent was displayed nonetheless. Looking forward to hearing the songs from round 1.

All the songs can be listened to or downloaded HERE.

Skub - ROCK! Take all the good things I said in all the other reviews & pretend they’re written here as well.

Merisan - How can something be so beautiful & horrifying at the same time? This is sick...in a good & bad way. Excellent work.

Pigfarmer Jr - Ok...I got nothing bad to say here. Just well done. I like a little history in my music, and you did a great job of telling a story & keeping it interesting.

Glenn Case - Want reviews? Post lyrics....

Jerkatorium - Didn’t think you incorporated the backwards singing very well, but A LOT of people failed in that. However, I really think you did a great job otherwise. Lyrics flowed well, it was funny, and you had plenty of personality in the performance. Sometimes when people try to be funny they fail to sell it with the performance, you didn’t.

Nick Soma - As someone who has some anxiety issues I could relate to this a little. Enjoyed it overall, but there were a couple of lines that could flow better. 1 minor thing I’d point out is the “shit” you included might not be needed. I’m not against cursing in songs...or anywhere else. I fucking do it all the time. If you’re going to do it, I think the emotional level you’ve taken the listener to needs to be at a certain point. You don’t want the curse to be a distraction vs an emotional peak. In this case I didn’t think it was needed. Lyrically you COULD argue you were there, but performance wise it didn’t feel like it. This is going to a very useful review or utter bullshit….

Paco del Stinko - What’s on the list? Some really catchy elements here, and I enjoyed the performance A LOT. You can sell a lot with personality...except an ugly girl.

ROTR - Has some catchy moments, but the story itself is a little dull. Solid performance. Oh, and why tell her to throw salt over her shoulder if the song is about you not believing in superstition?

73 Keep It Beautiful - Would like a little more backstory in there. Was well done though. It has some memorable moments & was fun to sing along with.

Berkeley Social Scene - Who am I supposed to be looking out for exactly? This is another song where the lyrics leave me wanting more details. Otherwise, very enjoyable.

Strangelove - Had a nice groove to it. Lyrically there wasn’t much there, too repetitive for my tastes. More of a mood piece. I can see someone listening to this to motivate themselves to keep driving forward out of some bad times.

Cavedwellers - I enjoyed the music a lot, but couldn’t really follow the story.

Zed Dead Baby - I liked the “House rules, house wins again” line. Overall I felt very “meh” about this. Nothing much too bad or good to point out.

Lucky Witch & The Righteous Ghost - You really do create some great images with your lyrics. But I’m still waiting for the music to reach that same level of awesome. The topic was on point for the technical challenge we gave you.

Lichen Throat - Vocals made it hard for me to get into, but if I overlook that & try to picture someone else singing it...I could see myself listening this again. I liked the simplicity of the music, thought it fit the situation of the character.

Inflatable Vegetables - Music was chill & set a really good mood for the direction you took. Lyrically I didn’t find it funny enough or catchy enough to keep my attention. Especially when the rhymes don’t really hit at times. Like “sandals” & “Angeles”, that extra syllable on “Angeles” annoys my left ear. The right one is on the fence...but that left one got pretty annoyed.

Boffo Yux Dudes - What are they trying to get away with? Why is it so bad? I mean you thought of a decent idea & left out all the interesting parts.

Wendy Wiseman Fisher - Nice vocals, but I didn’t really follow the story. Then there was a lot of fucking & it ended. I was left feeling like most of my ex’s…puzzled & unsatisfied.

Micah Sommersmtih - There’s probably a reason it said "section of backwards singing or instrumentation" in the challenge. An entire song of it isn’t easy to do. I can pick out good points if I wanted to here, but what it boils down to is having every other line backwards made it really hard to get into the song at any point.

Balance Lost - Way to set the tone right at the start. Liked the vocals, but other than that there wasn’t enough lryics for me to say anything about. The music was interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment