Where Music & Dance Fall Face First Into The Internet

Sunday, March 18, 2012

SpinTunes #4 Round 4 Review

Steve Durand - A Beautiful Voice
From the get go it sounds fuller than most. Meaning you found more creative ways to make sounds...so that's good. I think former SpinTunes judge Dave Santucci would have loved this cause of the whistling (Dave is a professional whistler). There was not "An irritating noise" in this song, and it would be hard to listen to without smiling. You win this round...at least in my eyes...or ears...you know what I mean.



Jess Scherer - Threadbare
Great topic & title for this particular challenge. The backing vocals do a great job of filling up the song, but at times it does feel like it still needs something. (don't ask me what, I don't know) Up until I heard this, Steve didn't really have much competition for my top spot. Lyrically, vocally, concept...all great...but Steve made me smile just a little to much. Great song nonetheless.


David LeDuc - Fear
The beat boxing wasn't bad, and the rubbing of your arm was a creative sound that really helped add something different. The spoken word approach wasn't a bad idea for this particular challenge, and at times it flowed nicely. However, there were also times in which the flow seemed awkward. Not a bad entry, but it didn't blow me away, and I think it leaves the door open a bit too much for someone else.

Edric Haleen - Exultation!
Lion Kingy. It's certainly joyful, but it's hard to say much else. I don't know if this is a real language or just gibberish that Edric made up. Technically I could see someone wanting this DQed without some clarification from Edric. If it's a different language that's fine, if it's gibberish...well in my mind that probably wouldn't count as lyrics. Either way I don't understand it, and I rank heavy on lyrics & story. So at the bottom you go...

Jacob Haller - What Do We Need?
I like the idea, but it gets too repetitive lyrically. And without a really compelling musical track to help it along the repetitive lyrics get old fast. As an idea & rough draft this kinda works, but it needs a lot of work still. I suggest practicing your finger-buzzing solo, and taking another crack at this.

Drei Viertel Drei - Igor's Jigsaw
Aside from Steve, you set a mood better than anyone else this round. I'm glad someone decided to take advantage of the loophole about processing the various sounds your body can make. Creepy idea that works well with your ability to tell stories. It's your strongest entry of the contest.

Brian Gray - Before You Go
If this wasn't a shadow, it would get consideration for my top spot of the round. At first I was a little disappointed because I thought it was going to be all vocals, and this isn't an a cappella challenge. But when the first chorus kicked in I was sold. The vocals seem a little off at times (don't know if it's the recording or any processing they went through), but everything fit nicely together & it filled up the song well. The trick for this round was recording a song that sounded like you weren't limited in anyway...while you actually were. You pulled it off.


Menage A Tune - Don't Miss The Rainbow
Great work in terms of lyrics & creating an interesting sound throughout. The backing vocals & sounds were all great. My only gripe about this is the lead vocal performance. Just didn't hold my interest, and lacked personality. Excellent song though.

No comments:

Post a Comment